The client is a medium-volume contract manufacturer seeking to provide an innovative handheld solution to his end customer in the civil construction industry.
The client conceptualized a specialized hand-held device that served the purposes of field engineers and managers working at large construction sites. The device needed Wi-Fi connectivity and should operate in a Kiosk mode. The device needed to be rugged for use in tough and harsh environments while being easy to hold and carry.
Challenges & Requirements:
1. Time: The first devices were to be delivered in just 12 weeks.
2. The device was required to have Android in kiosk mode.
3. A sunlight readable display along with a capacitive touch screen were required
4. The device needed a 12 hour continuous use time over Wi-Fi.
Thotakã designed a hand-held device using the a ARM-Cortex A8 SoC along with a sunlight readable display. A rugged enclosure from a reputed enclosure manufacturer was identified and customized to handle IP65 requirements. Android with H/W accelerated graphics was ported and locked-down into Kiosk mode along with certain customizations for a role based access.
Benefits & Outcome:
1. Thotaka's hardware team used an existing SoM to power the device and focused on creating a carrier card. This was the most suited approach since the device was to be produced in medium volumes.
2. A fast moving sun-light readable display along with a good 10-point capacitive touch screen was identified to be a cost effective display and touch solution.
3. The firmware team with prior experience on the SoC ported Android to the SoM, quickly interfaced the new peripherals, locked down Android and also modified the access control to be role based.
4. The project management worked with client's industrial design team to identify a cost effective COTS enclosure and ensured that the electronics was suited to it.
Thotakã delivered the rugged hand-held device to the customer that satisfied all the specification within a span of just 12 weeks.