The client is a leading manufacturer and OEM of TDMoIP equipment
To develop an intelligent Power Distribution Unit (PDU) with O&M and secure IP based connectivity for monitoring and control.
Challenges & Requirements:
1. The device should have two variants for 110,230 VAC and well as 24,48VDC systems
2. It should feature revenue-grade metering of power consumption and various other power quality parameters for each power outlet
3. The system should be expandable by chaining the PDU
4. It should be remotely accessible and feature power consumption/quality parameter based thresholds for alerts via SSL SMTP e-mail and SNMPv2
5. The hardware should be cost-effective even for medium volume requirements
Thotakã designed and delivered a complete PDU and associated firmware based on the GNU\Linux operating system. The hardware consisted of a metering ASIC with swappable measurement frontends for AC and DC power points. The main controller of the system was designed around a 400MHz ARM9 Mixed Signal Processor. An alert and alarm-management middleware featuring SQLite, POSIX Message-Q's was developed and re-used in other projects of the customer.
The solution was rigorously tested with test automation using GNU Expect.
Benefits & Outcome:
1. Expertise on headless GNU\Linux application development, GNU\Linux internals, and Linux IPC protocols ensured that the solution is architected correctly.
2. Thotaka's expert hardware team delivered a complex Metering ASIC + 400MHz ARM9 processor based system on a compact 1U form-factor with a fast turn-around time.
3. Expertise on automated testing ensured rich test-case creation and subsequently near hands-free testing
4. In-house hardware debug laboratory ensured fast board bring-up.
5. The complete codebase was modular with efficient IPC such as message-Q's
The delivered solution is a very versatile PDU that found its way into various rack sized offerings of the customer. Much of the middleware developed in the project was re-used in other projects of the customer.